Saturday, January 19, 2008

Bad News in the Department

Wednesday a full faculty/student meeting was called for UIndy Theatre. Nobody knew what was going on and everybody was slightly nervous with feelings of "impending doom."
Never did we expect this to happen...to better explain, here's the follow up email from Jim:

For those who missed yesterday's meeting and haven't heard the news,
I have mixed feelings to report that after almost 14 years, Jeffrey
Barnes will be leaving UIndy. He has accepted a position with Herron
Arts School. They made him an offer he couldn't refuse even though
we wish he had. Jeffrey's last official day will be February 1.

I know that you join me in congratulating Jeffrey as he makes this
move. On the plus side for us....wait there is no plus side for us.
We are happy for Jeffrey, but will miss his talents, skills and many
contributions to our crazy world.

The search process for a replacement (I know. It can't be done) has
already begun.
Because people who work so hard and so closely together become like a
family, there may be some strong feelings. Change is never easy. We
will carry on.

I have tried to think of some creative inspiring salutation for this
message. They all sound trite and pathetic.

Just know that there are many people in our theatre family who care
about you.
Jim Ream


Needless to say, things are getting frantic. Not only is Jeffrey my boss, but he's our technical director and we have a show to load in the week after he leaves. We still don't even know who will fill the positions of assistant technical director or master carpenter
. SHIT!
He does so much for the department and PRIDE. He coordinated the drag show...he brought us Judy Shepard. He's heard me out more than once and brought me back to sanity.
Now I'm left w/the assignment to clean the shop well and send him a list of everything we need so he can take care of it before he leaves....IN LESS THAN TWO WEEKS!
I am happy for him...it is a better paying job w/less hrs and he'll be able to focus on his shows, but at the same time...*pout*.

Cross your fingers for me and hope this is a tolerable semester. :'(

No comments: